<body> profile tagboard journal affiliates
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Practical 4 and 5 / 11:14 PM

Hello fellas!
Had another Practical session on UIR last Friday.
We worked on a lab exercise which was aimed to help us draft out our portfolio for this subject for submission in weeks to come. Basically what we did was to look at different search facilities. By search facilities i am not only referring to the common ones like Yahoo.com and Google.com, but also other strange search facilities i never knew existed.
Some of these are:
Meta Search Engines
www.mamma.com
www.ixquick.com
www.vivisimo.com
Normal Search Engines
www.yahoo.com
www.google.com
www.altavista.com
www.askjeeves.com
I also became more aware of a Subject Directory. I have seen this option on Yahoo.com but never really bothered to find out what/how it is and how to use it. Well i got the chance last Friday and i realised that sometimes it is useful to use Directory and sometimes the results you mind might not be useful at all.
I also learnt more about make my search more focused and a yet still yield many related returns/results. This useful results are achievable through the use of variation of keywords and also operators such as: AND, OR, (..) etc
These makes your search keywords very focused and gives you very good results.
I hope to apply everything i learnt so far during UIR, in future and i know these skills are very useful and will help me in years to come.
Till next time (: do return!


/ believe in wonderland,
with you in my mind
it's not that hard to believe
i'm in wonderland
and that's where I am
only a place to where we know
and never escape into reality
plunge into a fantasy

just about my love